Can God & Science Mix?
with John Lennox
- What is the proper role and function of science?
- Dr. Lennox makes the case that God and science can mix, but atheism and science cannot. What do you think he meant by that?
- Dr. Lennox describes the difference between a top down and a bottom up method of explaining reality. In the “bottom up” method, we explain matter and energy first, then mind or being as secondary or derivative. In the “top down” method, we explain God, the Logos, and the Eternal Word first, then matter and energy as secondary or derivative. What are the implications of each way of explaining reality?
- In what ways would you present evidence of the existence of God to an unbelieving neighbor? How can we use science as a means to present the gospel to our neighbor?
A Hobbitt, A Wardrobe, and a Great War
With Joe LoConte
- Living in the wake of the Great War, how did the Christian worldview shape the imaginations of Tolkien and Lewis? Why was their writing so unique compared to other writers in their time?
- How does our current cultural moment parallel with the “disillusionment” of the post-war culture of Tolkien and Lewis? How does the Gospel challenge this cynicism in our own hearts?
- Themes of friendship run through the stories of The Chronicles of Narnia and The Lord of the Rings. What are some examples of friendship in the Bible? How does a biblical view of human flourishing push back against isolation and individualism?
- The Christian faith looks forward in hope to the true “Return of the King”. How does the biblical narrative of redemption history shape the way we live?
Genes, the Self and the Soul
With Praveen Sethupathy
1. Discuss what it means to be made in the image of God.
- Material and functional aspects, being and agency.
- Middleton referenced salvation as both a gift and a calling.
- How does “potential” fit in?
2. How does sin distort the image of God?
- What does that look like in our culture?
3. How does believing the Gospel begin to restore the image of God?
- What are some socio/cultural opportunities for the believer to exercise “agency”, to make a difference?
- How does a biblical view differ from secular thinking today?
Can Freedom Last Forever?
With Os Guinness
- What is a biblical understanding of authentic freedom? How do we often misunderstand what real freedom is?
- What is the relationship between virtue, faith and freedom in a society?
- As followers of Christ, how does the gospel impact our understanding and experience of freedom?